Monday, October 15, 2007

Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us - Christensen & Karp

Right off the bat of reading this document, I was turned off. Christensen uses examples of popular stories and fairy tales that young children often love when they are younger; she tries to state that these stories try and teach kids how to "act, live, and dream". I completely disagree with this statement. Children find these stories amusing and interesting, because that's exactly what they are supposed to do. Stories and reading in general has always been pushed on kids because it expands the mind, and allows children to use their imagination. I highly doubt that when the authors of these fairy tales were thinking of all the way they could possibly "manipulate" young society. I just don't believe it.

I also do not believe in a "secret education". For Christensen to make a comment stating that racial thoughts and stereotypes are embedded in the minds of young children at an early age is just wrong. I look back on my childhood, and I enjoyed many of the films and storybooks that Disney and Pixar had to offer. Not once, ever in my memory, do I ever recall thinking, "oh, geeze...that seems a little racist to me". Never, not once. And I hate to sound like I'm on the defense right now, but I guess I sort of am. This disheartens me to hear that stories and movies that I as a child loved to read and watched, just as many other young children did at my age, are now being belittled and over analyzed. I did not read enough as a kid, but I do know that the books that I did read were ones that were interesting to me, and ones that I found and my parents found good for my mind and for the developing child.

Now, being 19 years old, I'm pretty sure about myself. I know what I believe in, I know the difference between right and wrong, and I am most importantly comfortable in my own skin. The books that I read as a child had an impact on me, a good impact. I have not grown up to be a racist biggit, and I have not grown into a person who is closed minded. So, once again, I apologize for being defensive right now. But I do not agree with this author and their views. I plan on becoming an educator and an English teacher at that, and I want my students and children of my own to read whatever they like, and whatever will stimulate their imaginations and minds.

Kels!

No comments: