Monday, November 19, 2007

Reconceptualizing Down Syndrome

I love the quote, "How absurd to be judged by others at all." LOVE THAT QUOTE. I feel for this women from the beginning of the article. Not that I can say that I have ever had a disability or have been segregated into another classroom due to my differences from other students; however I do know the feeling of being judged, and it is extremely frustrating. This article hits the points of segregation, education, silence, etc. "Dialoge cannot occur...between those who deny others the right to speak their word and those whose rigth to speak has been denied them." This completely relates back to the reading from Delpit; "The Silenced Dialogue". Now even though the circumstances may be different, it is still the truth. How can one get their word across if no one will listen, or allow them the right to speak? It's absurd.
Just as I had stated in class a couple weeks ago when talking about tracking; I feel that a student should have the right to chose how their education should go. Meaning, they should be able to chose what classes they would like to take and where they would like to go in life. I do not believe it should be up to others. Every student deserves an equal opportunity to get a good education in the world. Just as Kliewer's example of the woman in the beginning of the article, Mia -- she states that she did not like the classes she was in. She had to go through special ed. all of her life. She was unable to take classes that interested her.
I am not promoting or stating that I think that a student with behavioral problems or severe special education would do well in a classroom with other students that are not at that level. However, how am I to judge what those students may want or need? Everything in life is a trial run basis. We test things out; cars, books, t.v's, the latest technology, etc. Why can't students be able to test run a class that may interest them?
I will finish this post with a personal experience of mine. My senior year of high school I was part of a test run group. The group was made up of 8 upper classmen and we were paired with 8 other under classmen students who had a Asperger syndrome, a form of Autism. We each had a student that became our "buddy". The 8 upper classmen that were chosen were students that exhibited good communication skills, worked well with peers, and might be able to get these other 8 students to come around. It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. Working with these kids was probably one of the best things I could have ever done. These kids were perfectly "normal" they were just behind the 8 ball in regards to their social skills. Giving them a person to say hello to in school hallways or eat lunch with really helped them out more then anyone could ever imagine. I know that this doesn't really connect with down syndrome, but it's just another example of how students all over sometimes need a little push, or a VOICE, and that could be the best thing for them.

Kels!!

1 comment:

Dr. Lesley Bogad said...

Hey Kelsey,

You have great thoughts on here... though you seem to disappear near the end of the semester! Hope that you didn't stop reading, but just fell behind on the blogs.

I appreciated your comments in class about my making sure to leave people comments throughout the semester. I will do that next time!

Have a great break.

LB :)